“The ego is the false self-born out of fear and defensiveness.”
― John O’Donohue
Ego is a Latin word meaning “I”, which derives from the Greek word “Εγώ (Ego)” meaning “I”, often used in English to mean the “self”, “identity” or other related concepts.
I’m just going to throw it out there we are so self consumed! I had a clear revelation over the past couple of weeks within my own personal journey and simply put I learned it’s not about me and of course I had to share this with the ReCoded Family, it’s not about you!
Ego is the reason why great kings & kingdoms fell, marriages end, & wars begin. Ego is the reason why great ideas never come to fruition, friendships fade & families become torn apart. Ego is the reason why we can’t ask for forgiveness, admit when we are wrong, or keep our mouths shut even when we are right.
Ego is the reason why some sport teams never make it to championships, and why we find ourselves refusing to ask for help when we need it most. Yes it’s all because of ego.
ReCoded Important Thought: Allowing your BIG EGO to run your life is the most self inflicting harm you can cause yourself.
Don’t confuse confidence, or self-assurance with ego. The difference is EGO doesn’t allow for growth & operates in defensiveness when faced with self-awareness. If you want to truly walk in purpose you must learn to walk in humility (A hard but necessary truth). We must foster positive relationships, depend and rely on others (even Jesus had 12 disciples) and let go of our need to be right & in control.
Ego hinders us from revealing our true selves, flaws and all. Here are some tips that I have learned and had to put into practice to help us move past ego and into self-awareness:
- Identify & Recognize: Know when your ego is ruling your actions. Take a moment to identify and acknowledge it. Call it out!
- Move past the “right now”: Don’t make decisions or act in haste. Pause and look at the WHOLE picture, review different scenarios and outcomes based on your actions. Who does it impact? Count up the cost
- Be Quiet: This is a hard one at least for me. Just SHUT UP! Even when you are right, SHUT UP. The need to be right is ego. The need to get the last word is ego. Hush up and process the situation, listen to what the other person is saying. Take what you can use and dispose of what you can’t either way it can help you become a better person
- Relinquish the Need for Control: Stop trying to make things happen and let them happen. Just prepare for success, get things aligned and in order so when your time comes, you are ready.
- Stop worrying about others: It’s not so important for others to always see your point of view. Say what you need to and move on and let it go. Don’t consistently have a need for others to justify your self worth..know your worth whether it’s acknowledged or not.
- Life is about collaboration not competition: Teamwork fosters the best results. Competitiveness has its place but if it’s just for self-glory or to belittle others it will eventually lead to one’s failure.
Today’s ReCoded Message: ReCode from Ego to Humility & Self-Awareness!
For more insight on Ego, view the video below.